-
August 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
#11
Inactive Member
The fellow that had them before me told me not to blast them.I have been using a Fisher 500C and HH Scott Model 380 tube receiver.
-
August 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
#12
Inactive Member
I see. I think he was probably misinformed, they are rated for all the 35wpc that each of those amps pump out. You should try giving them some juice some time just to raise your eyebrows. While personally it's not the most important attribute to me, one of the things Altecs do very very well is loud, and the 604 is no exception.
Dave
-
August 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
#13
Senior Hostboard Member
The amp has to be able to play loud without clipping occuring, otherwise the loudspeakers may be damaged. Others can advise re your drivers and amp better than I can.
Marshall.
-
August 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
#14
Inactive Member
Thanks to all for your info.I think I like here better those snobby audiophile forums,who think you have to spend a 100G for a good system.
I take alot of road trips to buy equipment and every seller so far has been great.
I would really like to sell these 17's as I am running out of room.Or I might sell my 846B Valencia which sound great.What would you guys keep?
-
August 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
#15
Senior Hostboard Member
The amp has to be able to play loud without clipping occuring, otherwise the loudspeakers may be damaged.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">with a solid state amplifier i'd agree completely, with 500C it's mostly a non-issue.
-
August 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
#16
Inactive Member
"Or I might sell my 846B Valencia which sound great.What would you guys keep?"
Since you are asking for opinions I will offer mine and open it for discussion.
Some, probably most here, would say keep the 17s and let the Vals hit the road. I think the 17s are a nicer sounding speaker if all is working correctly with a side note.
17s can get plenty loud enough but I feel are more of a near field listening experience.
The Valencia will likely put out higher SPLs in a particular room and be louder but will also be a good deal more forward with the much larger 811B horn.
I am certain that in normal listening levels "I" would prefer the sound quality of the 17s over the Vals.
Value wise I think the 17s will always command a higher price.
Both speakers are true Altecs so the one that sounds best to you and in your room is the one to keep.
Gary
-
August 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
#17
Senior Hostboard Member
What would you guys keep?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kind of a subjective question, so here's my subjective answer. Model 17's would be some of the last Altecs i'd ever sell.
Listening habits and preferences will make a difference, HF is quite directional and requires a dedicated listening position for the most part, this isn't everybody's cup of tea, but for serious critical listening 604 in a large box tuned low is IMO just about as good as it gets.
If space were at a premium, i would certainly not hesitate to get rid of valencias, 19's, AS 101's, or nearly any other Altec models to make room for 604-8G's in 620 cabs, but that's just me.
My best sounding room is a little on the small side, 19's don't work at all for me in that space and the other large two way systems aren't much different in that respect. Nothing else has done what the 17's do in this room, they do "intimate" exceptionally well, once set up properly they do a very good disappearing act.
With a couple hundred clean solid state watts, they will also(as Selmerdave can confirm) do loud as well as any of the big Altecs.
I lived with model 17's for over a decade, i have since owned many other Altec models, and still currently own several, and have plans to build a pair of 620B replica boxes and load with the new series III 604-8H from Great Plains.
Just my .02 y'all understand...............
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks